Permitted development allows certain works to be carried out on your house without planning permission. This is a complex piece of legislation, which can change, and we will advise you on this as best as we can. We always advise to obtain a Lawful Development Certificate or some councils offer a Permitted Development Enquiry service. This gives you the proof of compliance, often required when you sell your property.


Some properties have had some or all permitted development rights removed as part of the original house builders planning approval or a subsequent planning approval. Documents are not reliably available on-line to be able to check this, hence the reason for obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate of PD Enquiry. If PD rights have been removed the council will inform us of this through the application process. A householder planning application will then be required, for which there will be a further application fee.


Building regulations approval is required for most projects. See the link below for more information on this. The building regulations process is usually split in to two parts. The first being the plans approval, which is generally what we would submit for you as part of the design stage. The second stage is the inspection of the work. The inspections should be organised by your builder. Please ensure that your builder also organises the final inspection and you obtain the completion certificate. You will need this if you sell your house. Building control will invoice you directly for the inspection fees once work commences. This is not included within our fee quotation.


Where public sewers or drains from other properties pass through your property and are affected by the proposed building works, then quite often an application to Yorkshire Water is required. This usually starts with an initial enquiry to YW and could then follow on with either a build over agreement or an application to make alterations to the public sewer. These costs are not usually allowed for within our fee quotation. We can prepare and submit these on your behalf for an additional fee plus the YW application fees.


Sometimes if your house is newer, typically from around 1990 onwards, you may need approval from the original house builder. This will be a condition of your deeds if applicable. Your solicitor should be able to advise you of this if you are unsure.


Properties are usually defined as either leasehold or freehold. As a leaseholder it is often the case that notice has to be given to the landlord/owner or other leaseholders of the property as a part of the planning application process. Please discuss this with us at an early stage.


Party Wall Notices are often required depending on the proposed works. You will be responsible for serving party wall notices on your neighbours if required. This is not part of our design service, although we are happy to discuss the requirements with you. Further information is available on the Government web site below.


You have certain duties under the Construction Design & Management Regulations 2015, often referred to as CDM. We will annotate on the drawings any significant risks over and above those typically expected for your type of project. We will undertake the role of Principal Designer (if required) up to the start on site. Your builder will then take on the domestic client and contractor duties, but it is worth reading the following information on what is to be expected for home owners.


In October 2023 the Building Safety Act was expanded to include low rise buildings under 18m in height. We will undertake the role of Principal Designer under the BSA and is included as part of our service. You and/or your builder must inform us of any changes to the building regulations approved design, so we can ask building control to confirm compliance with the building regulations. A completion form will be required to be signed by all parties, confirming compliance.

For further details please contact Richard on 07721 996296 or email

Commercial architectural design projects include additional responsibilities and requirements. Please call Richard on 07721 996296 for further information.

RJ Architectural Design Ltd

56 Kirkgate
BD20 0AL

07721 996296

Director: Richard Jagger
Chartered Architectural Technologist

Registered in England & Wales
Company No: 15432045

Stacks Image 31

Website design and all text and images
copyright of Richard Jagger 2024